Saturday, April 16, 2005

Adventures in the Little Orange Bug

Yet another first to add to my list -- Laser tagging.
Basically, I am pretty bad at it. I hit about 6 people and got hit who knows how many times. Ok, I know because I have a copy of the results, but I'd rather not mention how bad it was. It was better after the first five minutes, when I could breathe again. The mirrors and blinking lights were really distracting, but I guess that's the point. I stuck with Jess most of the time, till she got lost in the smoke.

The funny part was that we were there with Jess, her ex-, and her current "boyfriend". The we being M and I. We all squeezed into Jess's bug. It was interesting. Afterwards, we went to a coffee shop, but sadly they had run out of smoothie ingredients, so I had to settle for a kiwi Italian soda. Then we dropped the ex off back at school and went to the diner because Jess was hungry.

That's another story. We get to the diner at about quarter to one. The air outside smells disturbingly like the mushroom factory. It does that, quite often actually, over in that part of town, by the Walmart. We get seated and order and all that, and that is not the interesting part. Well, first, M, the smart one, thinks there is a mirror next to her and flips out when she thinks she has somehow transformed into an old, wrinkled, and white-haired lady. Actually, it wasn't a mirror.

But after that, after we get and eat our food, we are sitting there talking, or argueing over the last half of the pickle, and there is this large group of mostly older people at a couple of tables in the adjoining room. They are starting to get a little loud. Remember, this is at 1 am. Just as we decided it is about time to leave because the person who did not have any coffee is falling asleep, this other party starts to sing, rather badly and perhaps drunkenly, "My Girl". And random people from other tables start to clap along. We had to walk away rather quickly. The air outside smelled a little bit fresher.

Then I fell into the car backwards and got stuck on the floor in the backseat. Oops.

Jess persuaded us to come back to her room and watch a movie. It ended up being Mummy 2, but I missed most of it, as I fell asleep once I hit the bed. I watched a little bit cuz there was a cute kid and cool accents, but even that was not enough to keep me awake. I drifted back to my room several hours later.

Overall, I'd have to say that Jess is pretty good at keeping us entertained, when she doesn't have to work on the weekends, which doesn't happen very often. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing...

It was fun, though. Much better than sitting around here yet again. She is supposed to take me shopping this afternoon. I hope she got some sleep first...

3 Comments:

Blogger wplmom said...

The Laser tag in itself sounds like quite an adventure. But what jumps out at me from this story is the diner group. "Mostly older people" makes me think again of the old, wrinkled, white-haired lady who wasn't M, but in fact I suspect it was a group of people of my vintage. (Although singing My Girl I suppose they could be *gasp* even older). What were these people doing in a diner at 1 a.m.? Don't they know that college students might be out at that time, observing them. They missed the rule that you don't act up in public when younger people who might be embarassed by you are around.
Anyhow, maybe I'm just jealous that although my Friday night "adventure" did include a little bit of singing, I was home by 9:15, even earlier than my youngest son who took his Dad to a Knighthawks lacrosse game. Well, I'd guess they weren't singing either, so maybe its okay.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Don't worry. There people were much older than you. I don't think you're old.

8:09 AM  
Blogger jckwik said...

no she's not old. but give it a couple more years.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home